Undergraduate and Master's courses
- INFO-H-414: Swarm Intelligence with Prof. Marco Dorigo Faculté des sciences appliquées, Université libre de Bruxelles Belgium 2008-present
- PROJ-H-402: Projet d'informatique Faculté des sciences appliquées, Université libre de Bruxelles Belgium 2009-present
- TRAN-H-201: Projet Multidisciplinaire II Filière Informatique Faculté des sciences appliquées, Université libre de Bruxelles Belgium 2008-present
My article "Empirical assessment and comparison of neuro-evolutionary methods for the automatic off-line design of robot swarms" has been published in Nature Communications.
Nature Machine Intelligence
Directeur de recherches
I have been promoted to directeur de recherches (research director) of the F.R.S.–FNRS effective since October 1, 2019
Jun 21, 2019
In the ERC Spotlight
Article on the DEMIURGE project published in ERC=Science², the Europe-wide communications campaign that spotlights breakthrough science funded by the European Research Council (ERC): What can robots learn from ants?
ERC Consolidator Grant
I have been awarded an ERC Consolidator Grant for the project "DEMIURGE: automatic design of robot swarms" project start date: Oct 1, 2016
Highly cited papers
- M. Dorigo, M. Birattari, and T. Stützle (2006). Ant colony optimization: Artificial ants as a computational intelligence technique. IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, 1(4):28-39
- M. Brambilla, E. Ferrante, M. Birattari, and M. Dorigo (2013). Swarm robotics: A review from the swarm engineering perspective. Swarm Intelligence, 7(1):1-41
as of Feb 2015
SIGEVO Impact Award
Established in 2010, the SIGEVO Impact award recognizes up to three papers a year that were published in the GECCO conference 10 years earlier and which are both highly cited and deemed to be seminal by the SIGEVO Executive Committee
Best Video Award
The video Swarmanoid, the movie, written and directed by Mauro Birattari and Rehan O'Grady, won the Best Video Award at the AAAI-11 AI Video Competition!