From IridiaWiki
Revision as of 13:20, 17 December 2018 by WikiSysop (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigationJump to search

(Updated 12/2018) If your fellowship is over, but your Ph.D. is not, you can ask for unemployment benefit in Belgium. Your are not required to be Belgian for this. It is enough that you worked XXX days in the last years in Belgium (should be 2 full years). Another important requirement is that you payed the relative taxes within your fellowship, and this is usually the case. Probably you did not notice it because it was done directly by ULB.

There are several entities involved in the unemployment benefit. The first, and probably the most important for you, is the ONEM. They are the ones who actually have the money. You will seldom deal with them though.

The people that will pay you will be either a trade union (CSC, FGTB or CGSLB) or the public agency, the CAPAC. The advantage of a trade union is that usually the inscription process is faster, but you will probably have to pay a fee each month. The CAPAC is free of charges, but waiting in their offices can be really painful. In the following, I will refer for simplicity only to the CAPAC.

Then, there is ACTIRIS. This is an organisation that helps you looking for jobs. You MUST inscribe to it to obtain the unemployment benefit. Inscribe to the ACTIRIS website immediately after your contract ends (e.g. the first unpayed day), and then inscribe to the CAPAC.

Finally, we have your Commune. You have to go there twice a month (3rd and 26th of each month) and stamp a card you will be given by CAPAC.

IMPORTANT: go as soon as possible to the CAPAC, also if you do not have all the documents yet. The first "stamp" day is the 3rd. If you go later, you will have to use one or more of your "holidays", and you can use only 24 days each year!

Here is the checklist of what you should do:

  • Start planning some weeks before the end of your contract, the earlier you apply, the earlier you'll get the money.
  • Contact the Human Resource Office of ULB, "Service Paiements des Personnels Enseignant et Scientifique". You can write directly to Mme Meys, the person that, at the time of writing, will fill for you the "Certificat de Chomage", a.k.a. C4. You can then ask for it to be mailed to your home, or you can go and pick it up at her office in building S (best option, as bpost can be randomly slow).
  • Inscribe to ACTIRIS.
  • Go to the CAPAC (or to a trade union) with the C4, the proof of inscription to ACTIRIS, you bank account number and your Belgian card. It's possible to book an appointment on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, do that if you can (you can't go on Fridays, and on Monday and Thursday you'll wait for hours). Book an appointment some weeks in advance, as the available slots can get booked rather quickly. Try to get an appointment few days after the end of your contract.
  • At the CAPAC, you'll get inscribed in their registers, and you'll receive some blue cards, one per month. On these blue cards you'll have to mark which days you're sick, on holiday, working, or unavailable for any other reason. It will take more or less four weeks for your application to be processed, then, fingers crossed, you'll receive a letter telling you how much you'll get. At that point, you can bring the first blue card to the CAPAC. For this you don't need to book an appointment or wait for hours, you can go there and leave it in the big box at the entrance. If you want to be sure that everything is ok, you can queue for the reception desk, they'll check your card and tell you to put it in the box.
  • For the following months, you can bring the blue card at the end of each month, or download and use the ONEM app (more on this below).
  • At a certain point you'll receive a letter+mail+text from ACTIRIS, calling you for a first meeting (more on this below).

Addresses, opening times, and telephone numbers can be found on the web sites of the organisations.

The blue cards Every blue card covers one month. For each day for the month there is a box, you'll leave it empty if nothing special happens on that day, you'll have to mark it with a M if you're sick, a V if you're on holiday, A means you're unavailable for any other reason, and you'll black it if you're working (payed). This is important because the CAPAC will pay you the normal days, but, for example, the sickness days will be covered by the mutuelle, and you'll need to specify you're on vacation if ACTIRIS calls you for a meeting but you cannot go.

The ONEM app This app replaces the blue cards, so you can avoid going to the CAPAC to deposit them (you'll still have to go for the first one, anyway). The app is called eC3, and is available on the Belgian version of the Android/iOS app stores (check your settings, you won't find it otherwise). You'll also need the itsme app to log in (you might have to use an ID card reader to install it), but if you're using e.g. the ING app you probably already have it.

If you get sick Don't. Please don't, it's a pain in the ass. But if you really cannot avoid it, and have to call a doctor, you'll have to ask for a certificate of inability to work, to be brought to the mutuelle in at most 2 working days. Every day covered by the certificate will have to be marked with a M on the blue card, because it will be payed by the mutuelle and not by the CAPAC; if you're actually sick but don't want to call a doctor and get a certificate, then don't mark anything on the card.