Robotics weekly meetings

From IridiaWiki
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Wednesday 11th January - Alexandre)
(Wednesday 11th January - Alexandre)
Line 85: Line 85:
   
 
# '''Presentation / Discussion'''
 
# '''Presentation / Discussion'''
*
+
* I will introduce a new experiment that involves a group of robots trying to estimate collectively
  +
the direction of the nest, whereas they can not see it anymore.
  +
* After a quick description of the experiment I'll introduce a set of simple behavioural rules devised to produce the desired collective behaviour.
  +
* Then I'll present some simulation results, and describe how the group of robots manages to estimate the direction
  +
of the nest, and how it behaves in varying conditions (noise of the system, number of robots, duration of the experiment...).
  +
* Lastly I will discuss some tradeoff problems : robots estimate better the direction
  +
of the nest if they are numerous, but on the other hand they have difficulties to synchronize for achieving a collective prey retrieval.
  +
* And I will discuss some scalability and bifurcation features of the system
  +
  +
* If I have some time, but it is not likely, I will present you my latest results on optimal foraging
  +
and improvements I did, following the suggestions of many of you.
  +
   
 
# '''Robotics Group Admin'''
 
# '''Robotics Group Admin'''

Revision as of 23:35, 10 January 2006

Contents

Purpose

  1. Community. Keep everyone updated as to what other work is going on in the lab
  2. Research. Cross germination. Get feedback. Get help on problems. Get ideas.
  3. Admin. Lab administration.


Format

  1. Presentation & Discussion (30 - 50 mins)
    • Work you have been doing
    • Reading you have been doing in the context of your work
    • Other reading on something you are passionate about
  2. Robotics Group Administration (0 - 15 mins)


Try and make your session as involving as possible for everyone:

  • Send round material to be read beforehand.
  • Ask people before the meeting what aspects of your work / reading they would like to know about or discuss.
  • Think about implications of what you are presenting for the research direction of the lab as a whole - methodologies, technologies etc.


Timing & Attendance

The weekly meetings ALWAYS take place on

Wednesdays at 14.30

Unless:

  • A given Wednesday is a public holiday, or
  • Something very important (like a Ph.D. defense) is overlapping.

If either should happen the meeting is postponed to the next day.

Please indicate on this wiki page if you are not going to be able to attend a meeting (no later than the Friday before).

If you forget to note your absence in advance you will be severely punished and will be forced to buy a nice, big cake for the following meeting.

Previous Meetings

See Minutes and agendas from previous meetings.



Wednesday 14th December - Shervin

Agenda

  1. Presentation / Discussion
    • There's not too much that changed since my last talk.
    • I will (very) shortly present the reimplemented version of my controller on twodee,
    • talk about the experiments which I prepared and which I intend to run before xmas,
    • introduce the idea for a new controller.
    • If there's any interest I can show photos from Cuba....
  2. Robotics Group Admin
    • The last meeting before Christmas (Dec 21st)
    • MEETROBOT 2006


Reading material


People who will be absent


Results

Download presentation (pdf)




Wednesday 11th January - Alexandre

Agenda

  1. Presentation / Discussion
  • I will introduce a new experiment that involves a group of robots trying to estimate collectively

the direction of the nest, whereas they can not see it anymore.

  • After a quick description of the experiment I'll introduce a set of simple behavioural rules devised to produce the desired collective behaviour.
  • Then I'll present some simulation results, and describe how the group of robots manages to estimate the direction

of the nest, and how it behaves in varying conditions (noise of the system, number of robots, duration of the experiment...).

  • Lastly I will discuss some tradeoff problems : robots estimate better the direction

of the nest if they are numerous, but on the other hand they have difficulties to synchronize for achieving a collective prey retrieval.

  • And I will discuss some scalability and bifurcation features of the system
  • If I have some time, but it is not likely, I will present you my latest results on optimal foraging

and improvements I did, following the suggestions of many of you.


  1. Robotics Group Admin
    • Anders: Robotics room server
    • Anders: s-bot status (Rehan is going to kidnap the robots?)
    • Anders: BibTeX file for robotics conferences and journals.
    • Marco: Who takes care of the e-pucks?.
    • Marco: NASA wants to cooperate with us.


Reading material


People who will be absent

Results




Wednesday 18th January - Rehan

Agenda

  1. Presentation / Discussion
  1. Robotics Group Admin

Reading material


People who will be absent

Results





Wednesday 25th January - Anders

Agenda

  1. Presentation / Discussion
  1. Robotics Group Admin

Reading material


People who will be absent

Results





Wednesday 1st Febuary - Elio

Agenda

  1. Presentation / Discussion
  1. Robotics Group Admin

Reading material


People who will be absent

Results




Wednesday 8th January - Christos

Agenda

  1. Presentation / Discussion
  1. Robotics Group Admin

Reading material


People who will be absent

Results





Wednesday 15th February - Marco

Agenda

  1. Presentation / Discussion
  1. Robotics Group Admin

Reading material


People who will be absent

Results




Wednesday 22nd February - Roderich

Agenda

  1. Presentation / Discussion
  1. Robotics Group Admin

Reading material


People who will be absent

Results





Wednesday 1st March - Shervin

Agenda

  1. Presentation / Discussion
  1. Robotics Group Admin

Reading material


People who will be absent


Results




Personal tools