The laser cutter is meant to cut or engrave many kinds of materials with a CO2 laser running at 60W. Applications for the laser cutter include prototyping parts, producing PCBs, etc.
Responsible and Keys
The person responsible for the use of the laser cutter is Anthony Antoun.
The keys for the laser cutter are with Anthony Antoun.
On the use of the laser cutter
Please note that you are not allowed to use the machine without an introduction to its use and safety procedures. This is really important because of safety issues: the laser cutter is a very critical device and every lack of attention when using it might result in very hazardous situations for you, the machine and the lab. There is a strong risk of fire, even when working with the least dangerous materials.
Some materials produce highly toxic gases: any unknown material is thus strongly prohibited.
Only people that are given an introduction by the responsible of the laser cutter can use it without external supervision, always under careful caution.
Here is a list of good practices and measures that apply when using the laser cutter.
- Wait for at least 5 minutes before firing the laser (laser temperature has to be constant).
- Ensure that the air filter is on before firing the laser. For extended use (>= 30 min), it is recommended to wear a mask as a personal safety measure.
- Always calibrate the height of the lens AFTER adding material in the laser cutter. This is done by using the 4.1 mm calibration tool.
- Always specify the settings in software (do not change them in the machine).
- !!!NEVER OPEN THE DOOR!!!
- Always keep an eye on the machine while working. Even the safest materials can produce an uncontrolled fire and damage the lens or other internal parts of the machine.
IN CASE OF FIRE:
If the fire lasts more than 3 seconds and does not follow the laser head:
- Press the RED BUTTON
If the fire didn't stop:
- Try to extinguish it by normal means (mouth blow - only with wood, paper or cardboard and very carefully) or use the fire extinguisher.
After each use:
- Remove the material from the machine.
- Switch off the laser cutter, side interruptor (pumps), and computer.
- Do not leave your keys on the machine!
List of allowed people
Here is the list of people that can use the laser cutter without the supervision of the responsible of the machine:
- Anthony Antoun
- Arne Brutschy
- Mauro Birattari
- Dhananjay Ipparthi
- Roman Miletitch
Design considerations to take into account for laser cutting
While designing pieces to be laser cut, certain allowances should be given to the dimensions so as get pieces of particular dimensions. For example the laser beam has a particular diameter, therefore nothing smaller than the laser beam diameter can be cut. The general specifications of the cutter can be found at LS 6090 Laser Cutter product page. In addition, some tests have been conducted and the following observations were made:
- While cutting acrylic sheets of 3mm, and extra 0.3mm should be given to each dimension. Therefore, if a 10mm square has to be cut, each side should be increased to 0.15 + 10 + 0.15.
- While cutting 3mm MDF sheets, an extra 0.35mm should be given to each dimension. Therefore, for a 10mm square, each side should be increased to 0.175 + 10 + 0.175.
- Assuming the laser cutter cuts in the XY plane, the cuts along the X-direction and Y-direction will not be the same.
- The intensity of the laser is not uniform on the cutting bed. The cuts have lesser errors in the Upper Left and Lower Right regions of the bed.