I received a Master's degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy, in 1997, and a doctoral degree in Information Technologies from the faculty of Engineering of the Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium, in 2004. Since 1997, I work as an academic researcher in the field of computational intelligence. I am currently with IRIDIA, CoDE, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium, as a maître de recherches (senior research associate) of the fund for scientific research F.R.S.–FNRS of Belgium's Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
I have been recently awarded an ERC Consolidator Grant for the project "DEMIURGE: automatic design of robot swarms" — ERC-2015-CoG: project started in October 2016.
I have co-authored more than 150 peer-reviewed scientific publications in the field of computational intelligence. My papers have been cited more than 3000 times in publications monitored by Scoups and, according to Google Scholar, more than 16000 times in the scientific literature. My h-index is 41.
I authored the book Tuning Metaheuristics: A machine learning perspective, published in 2009 by Springer. My scientific video Swarmanoid, the movie won a number of awards including the Best Video Award at the AAAI Video Competition 2011. My article A racing algorithm for configuring metaheuristics received the SIGEVO Impact Award 2012.
I served as a member of the organizing committee for 16 international conferences, and as a member of the program committee for more than 50 international conferences in the last five years. Since 2002, I am a member of the organizing committee of the series of conferences ANTS. Between 2012 and 2015, I chaired for four times the AAAI Video Competition.
- ERC Consolidator Grant for the project "DEMIURGE: Automatic design of robot swarms" started in October 2016 European Research Council Dec 2015
- Prix Wernaers 2012 pour la recherche et la diffusion des connaissances for the video "Swarmanoid, the movie" with Rehan O'Grady and Marco Dorigo F.R.S.–FNRS Aug 2012
- Innovative Technology Award at the Robot Film Festival for the video "Swarmanoid, the movie" with Rehan O'Grady and Marco Dorigo New York Jul 2012
- SIGEVO Impact Award 2012 for the GECCO 2002 paper: "A racing algorithm for configuring metaheuristics" Jul 2012
- Best Video Award at the AAAI-11 AI Video Competition for the video "Swarmanoid, the movie" written and directed by Mauro Birattari and Rehan O'Grady San Francisco, CA Aug 2011
- 2009 Outstanding Reviewer Award "for work on International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics, 2008" Emerald Literati Network Jun 2009
- Best Performing Algorithm at the International Timetabling Competition Metaheuristics Network and PATAT, the international series of conferences on the practice and theory of automated timetabling Manno, Switzerland Mar 2003
- Best Paper Award at BNAIC'99, the Eleventh Belgium-Netherlands Conference on Artificial Intelligence Maastricht, The Netherlands Nov 1999
In the media
Short article on the DEMIURGE project published in ULB Connect, the English language newsletter of the Université libre de Bruxelles
ULB ConnectApr 2016
One-page article on my research and on the DEMIURGE project published in Esprit Libre, the magazine of the Université libre de Bruxelles
Esprit LibreApr May, 2016
Il Sole 24 Ore
L'Europa del merito / Mauro Birattari
Article on the DEMIURGE project published by the Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore
Il Sole 24 Ore: Domenica24Mar 27, 2016
On the first page of the Italian newspaper la Repubblica
Photo collage: I appear together with some of the other Italian "young" researchers that obtained an ERC Consolidator Grant in 2015
la RepubblicaFeb 16, 2016
Moins de 1% de chercheurs de la FWB parmi les Lauréats
Article on the results of the ERC Consolidator Grant competition 2015.
Daily ScienceFeb 16, 2016
La Lettre de l'ULB
Short article on the DEMIURGE project published in La Lettre de l'ULB, the newsletter of the Université libre de Bruxelles
La Lettre de l'ULBFeb 4, 2016
Short article on the DEMIURGE project published in Esprit Libre, the magazine of the Université libre de Bruxelles
Esprit LibreJan Feb Mar, 2016
Genius, Télé Bruxelles
Excerpt from episode 3 of Genius, Télé Bruxelles
Télé BruxellesMar 23, 2008
Genius, Télé Bruxelles
Excerpt from episode 7 of Genius, Télé Bruxelles
Télé BruxellesSep 27, 2008
La Lettre du FNRS
Apprentissage machine pour la conception automatique de métaheuristiques
Article on my research published in La Lettre du FNRS, the quarterly magazine of the fund for scientific research F.R.S.–FNRS of Belgium's Wallonia-Brussels Federation
La Lettre du FNRSSep 2007