# cat Alberto\ Franzin.txt
PhD student at IRIDIA, ULB under the supervision of Prof. Thomas Stützle since 11/2014 in the context of the COMEX project, working on automatic algorithm design and configuration, with a focus on heuristics.
Previously, I was research collaborator at the Department of Information Engineering of the University of Padova under the supervision of Prof. Barbara di Camillo and Dr. Francesco Sambo, developing the bnstruct (cran, repo) R package for learning Bayesian Networks (also) in presence of missing data.
In the same university, I completed my studies in Computer Engineering, obtaining my Masters's degree under the supervision of Prof. Silvana Badaloni and Dr. Francesco Sambo.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Papers
- Alberto Franzin, Leslie Pérez Cáceres, Thomas Stützle. "Effect of Transformations of Numerical Parameters in Automatic Algorithm Configuration." Optimization Letters, 2018, to appear.
[bib, DOI, Online version, Supplementary Material]
- Alberto Franzin, Francesco Sambo, Barbara di Camillo. "bnstruct: an R package for Bayesian Network structure learning in the presence of missing data." Bioinformatics, 2017; 33 (8): 1250-1252.
[bib, DOI, early access PDF].
- Alberto Franzin, Thomas Stützle. "Revisiting Simulated Annealing: a Component-Based Analysis". 2018.
[bib, PDF, Supplementary Material].
International Conference Full Papers
- Leslie Pérez Cáceres, Federico Pagnozzi, Alberto Franzin, Thomas Stützle. "Automatic configuration of GCC using irace." 13th International Conference on Artificial Evolution (EA2017), 2017.
[bib, online proceedings, TechRep]
- Alberto Franzin, Thomas Stützle. "Comparison of Acceptance Criteria in Randomized Local Searches." 13th International Conference on Artificial Evolution (EA2017), 2017.
[bib, online proceedings, TechRep]
- Alberto Franzin, Thomas Stützle. "Exploration of Metaheuristics Through Automatic Algorithm Configuration Techniques and Algorithmic Frameworks." 6th Workshop on Evolutionary Computation for the Automated Design of Algorithms (ECADA@GECCO), 2016.
- Francesco Sambo, Barbara Di Camillo, Alberto Franzin, Andrea Facchinetti, Liisa Hakaste, Jasmina Kravic, Giuseppe Fico, Jaakko Tuomilehto, Leif Groop, Rafael Gabriel, Tiinamaija Tuomi, Claudio Cobelli. "A Bayesian Network analysis of the probabilistic relations between risk factors in the predisposition to type 2 diabetes." 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2015.
International Conference Short Papers and Abstracts
- Alberto Franzin, Thomas Stützle. "A component-based analysis of Simulated Annealing." Optimization and Decision Science Conference (ODS2017), XLVII Annual Meeting of AIRO - Italian Operations research Society, Sorrento, Italy, 2017.
- Alberto Franzin, Thomas Stützle. "Revisiting Simulated Annealing: From a Component-Based Analysis to an Automated Design of Simulated Annealing Algorithms." 12th Metaheuristics International Conference (MIC), Barcelona, Spain, 2017.
- Alberto Franzin, Francesco Sambo, Barbara Di Camillo. "bnstruct: R package for Bayesian Network Structure Learning in the presence of Missing Data." 25th Belgian-Dutch Conference on Machine Learning (BeneLearn), Kortrijk, Belgium, 2016 (preliminary presentation, please refer to the Bioinformatics version).
- "An Integer Programming approach to Bayesian Network Structure Learning." Master's thesis, DEI-UniPD, 2014 (pdf).
Teaching Assistant for Heuristic Optimization INFO-H-413, prof. Thomas Stützle, a.y. 2017/18, Swarm Intelligence INFO-H-414, optimization part (ACO, PSO), prof. Marco Dorigo, a.y. 2015/16.
Organization Committee for Matheuristics 2016.
Program Committee for
CEC 2017, 2018.
Reviewer for Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology,
Computers and Operations Research,
International Transactions in Operational Research.
Postal address: IRIDIA, Université Libre de Bruxelles,
50, Av. F. Roosevelt, CP 194/6
B-1050 Brussels, Belgium
Physical address: IRIDIA, Université Libre de Bruxelles,
Office C.5.303, Building C, 5th floor,
87 av. Adolphe Buyl,
B-1050 Brussels, Belgium (map)
Office telephone: +32 (0)2-650-3170
Mail address: first letter of name followed by surname at ulb dot ac dot be
Some code on GitHub.
Last update: 2018.05.10