The general inscription building is building S, which you can find on the plan of the Campus du Solbosch. You have to enter the building and find the blue door which is the one to enter the office responsible for registration of new PhD students. Depending on the time of the year (i.e., how crowded that building is) you will either have to pick a number and wait until you can enter, or you can directly go to the blue door and put yourself in the queue. In general, for the first registration for the doctorate/DEA you need the following documents (it is possible that the rules changed and that therefore you require more documents or that some of the listed documents are not required any more. To be sure you can ask in the inscription office.):
- The document "DEMANDE D'ADMISSION".
- The document "PREMIERE INSCRIPTION AU DEA/DOCTORAT".
- 5 Euros
- 1 photo (size like ID card)
- Official certificate of the nationality (copy of the ID card is sufficient)
- Letter of motivation (< 1 page A4) where you state the reasons that you want to make a PhD at IRIDIA
- PhD Thesis Plan (about 1 page A4) where you describe a provisional plan of your PhD.
- Certificate of your university degree
- A list of all your exams and your obtained results in these exams
- A list of the content of the courses you followed (in worst case this has to be translated)
- 1 copy of your Master Thesis
- Certificate about the inscription to universities in the last 5 years (copy of your student cards is sufficient). In case you worked you need a certificate about your professional activity.
Note that all copies have to be verified by an official of the university. If nothing changed this is Mr Jeffery who you can find in the first hall when you enter the inscription building (S). This verification is free of charge and for ULB proportions rather uncomplicated. You just go to him with the original and the copies and he puts a stamp on the copy to verify it.
One important point to add is that, when you register for the DEA/doctorate, you should at the same time ask for the "Ã©talement", that is, the permission to make the DEA in two years instead of one. No additional costs are related to this. All you have to do is to fill in a document.
IMPORTANT: Remember to photo copy everything that you submit to the inscription office so that you have an exact record of everything that has been submitted. There is a good chance that having these copies will make your life a lot easier next time you have to go to the inscription office.
The cost of inscription is a function of the type of insription you get (this is a decision of a commission of the faculty that is taken after careful examination of your CV as submitted at the time of inscroption) . The cost increases slightly every year. The following are the costs for academic year 2003-2004:
|1st inscription:||Inscriptions only to DEA:||726 EUR|
|Inscriptions to DEA+doctorat:|| 726 EUR if partial DEA (i.e., without Part A)
726 + 215 EUR if full DEA
|Inscriptions from 2nd year on:||If reinscription after successful DEA:||29 EUR|
|If in the first year the inscription was to DEA only (i.e., not DEA+Doctorat):||726 EUR|
|If you fail the DEA (this has never happened at IRIDIA!) after inscription to DEA+Doctorat:||next year pay||29 EUR + 244 if full reinscription to DEA or 0 if partial reinscription to DEA|
The title of the DEA thesis must be submitted by 7th March. The document with which to do this can be found here
The DEA thesis must be submitted either in May or in August. The dates are respectively either the 9th May or the 16th August.
If you have questions, ask Madame Vermer on extension 2851